Re: Linux in Wired

On 28 Aug 1997 00:25:53 +0200, Ted Harding wrote:
> And in this article is stated:
>
>      However, Microsoft's huge installed base of users and wide range of
>      applications is unlikely to be surpassed, despite what believers in
>      the Linux magic might hope. Linus has no illusions on the subject and
>      even employs tools like Microsoft's PowerPoint - running on top of
>      Linux via one of the Windows emulators available.
>
> The first sentence I heartily support: when you need to get work done
> you are likely to be forced into running an MS-Win application at some
> stage and, if you can't run it on Linux, too bad.

I disagree! The office suits for Linux (e.g. StarOffice and
Applixware) are starting to get really good. I can't really see any
need to run this kind of applications on a windoze system. You can
probably find a couple of applications that run on windoze plattforms
only, if you look hard enough, but I haven't had the need to use any
application that haven't got an equivalence running on Linux.

( Heck you could do most things that you can in windoze and alot that you
  can't even dream on doing on a windoze system, with emacs only ;-)

Fredrik Ax