Re: sendmail/smail and off-line mail

On Aug 25, 1997, at 12:41, Alexander Stavitsky wrote:
 > Apparently I have found that sendmail is easier to setup, than smail.
 > I might be wrong but the horrible sendmail setup stories seem to
 > originate before the use of m4 macros.

I concur.

 > If you do something standard there are m4 macros written for you so you
 > don't have to touch sendmail.cf
 >
 > I have setup of 8 computers with the central mail spool and I
 > did not change a single line in sendmail.cf.
 > I did all the changes in sendmail.mc which consisted of ~10 lines.
 > I might be wrong but when I tried to do that with smail it would require
 > editing more than one file with more than 10 lines each.
 >
 > For me sendmail was easier than smail.

Alexander, could you share with me your sendmail.mc? This is the setup
I need, and I decided to switch back to sendmail, so I can administer
just one MTA everywhere I work:

1. Local mail gets delivered right away (or as soon as sendmail kicks
   in). If I send mail from 'usera' to 'userb' (just like that, no
   domain specification), I want userb to see her mail as coming from
   'usera' (no domain). [This last one is a weak requirement, and I
   could live without it].

2. Outgoing mail gets queued until I dial up my ISP. At this point, I
   may want to force its delivery by issuing 'sendmail -q'. If I send
   mail from 'usera' to 'bruce@debian.org', Bruce must see this mail
   as coming from 'usera@my.isp.site' (that is, for outgoing mail I
   wish to masquerade as 'my.isp.site').

3. I'll fetch incoming mail with fetchmail, which will deliver it to
   port 25 (SMTP). If 'bruce@debian.org' sent mail to
   'usera@my.isp.site', I would like sendmail to deliver it to usera's
   local spool file; Bruce's address should be kept intact.

I would guess this is a very straightforward and, what's more
important, very common, setup. I'm CCing the list so that, if anybody
else besides Alexander has any insight, they can share it with
others. If this is not a FAQ or a standard option in sendmail's
configuration, somebody (I?) should file a "bug/enhancement" report
and/or implement it. Of course, if it is already there, I should just
shut up.

--
Gonzalo A. Diethelm G.
gonzo@ing.puc.cl