Re: diald and ethernet

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Will Lowe wrote:

> I'm back at school for the fall now,  and I'm back to having a full-time
> 10-Base-T connection.  I'd like my machine to use this as a default
> instead of the diald/ppp link I used all summer from home.  The problem is
> that our campus ethernet is sometimes plagued by power outages,  so I
> don't want to simply remove diald and ppp,  besides that I don't want to
> have to reinstall them at winter break and again next spring.
>
> So,  is there a way to enable diald and ppp but set it up so that the ppp
> link isn't used unless it's either needed or specifically requested?  I'd
> like to make the ethernet link the default...
>
> I don't know much about unix network configurations,  so anything anyone
> can suggest is appreciated.

Coincidentally, earlier today I uploaded a .deb of PPPupd which you may
find useful.  PPPupd is a simple daemon which as the name suggests was
designed for keeping a PPP connection alive.  It pings a host you specify
at regular intervals (every minute by default.)   The way I packaged it,
PPPupd runs pon and poff to automatically to bring back a disconnected
PPPxonnection.  But it is very configurable.  You could use it to ping the
other end of your ethernet connection and if the ping fails, it could run
a script that starts up diald.  When the ethernet connection comes back
up, it would kill diald.

As I said I just uploaded it today so it will be a short while before it
shows up on mirrors.  In the mean time you can get the .deb and source
from http://www.braincells.com/pub/debian/Local .

 -- Jaldhar