Re: [Performance] 386vs486 compilation

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
> > Have you ever seen numbers for running Pentium code on a 486 and 386 vs
> > native code?
>
> I think the Pentium code generator now uses Pentium-specific instructions.
> Before then, Pentium code on 386 and 486 sometimes ran faster than the 386
> and 486 code, because it avoided some instructions that turned out to be slow.

Yes, this is what I usually hear about most compilers. P5 Code runs as
fast or faster on 486's. What GCC needs is a to have the 486 generator
perform pentium optimizations and not use pentium/386 instructions. Then
we could compile everything for this. The speed hit on a pentium would
drop on alot of apps and the 486/386 would not have any hit..

I wonder what instructions gcc uses on the 586, I don't recall seeing that
many usefull ones for general purpose stuff..

Jason