Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

> >> And since I am in such a pissed off mood over these version number let's start on these
> >> donations. Where do they go and what are they used for?
> >
> >Personally, I'm glad to see Debian become a little more organized
> >and getting incorporated.
>
> They didn't need to get incorpoated to become more orginized. The United States or
> any one of them has no interest in our international communal project.

No, but others may.  Incorproration is done mainly for protection.  It makes
a group an independant entity such that the people who work for it do not
have to be jointly and severally liable for everything the group does.

We may be an international organization, but that doesn't make one immune
from attacks.

> >It means that Debian can start paying it's
> >own bills instead of people like Bruce going out of pocket to pay
> >for the internic domain fees.
>
> Then tell him to rep a few CD-R's out and not pander an 'official' CD to high volume
> leach cookie cutters.

Please.  You make it sound like making some changes to increase Debian's
viability in the world is a bad thing.

> >On top of that, not everyone can donate time or resourses, but they can
> >contribute money.
>
> To who? Am I a part of Debian.org? Do I have a vote.....even if I maintain 50
> packages??  You'll see....the cash will lead to bills created by the corp, that in turn
> will create more bills, and there by creating a relience on direct finacial support.
>
> The point is you CAN'T just donate money to Debian. 'Debian' is the efforts of
> several hundred people; it's not a physical thing.

But it is a logical entity.  There are central costs.  This is what the
money goes to.

> Were you asked if you wanted the version control change? No, we we're told that it
> was going to be changed, and purely for the sake of appesment of the larger CD
> makers. Debian is not about profit. The orginizes should not be worrying about it
> how many cd's they get sent out....it obviously is interfering with the technical
> aspects of the project.

It's not interfering with anything.  Debian developers primarily concentrate
on "unstable".  We're just trying to make "stable" a little more stable.

> >Personally I think you're blowing things way out of proportion simply
> >because you can't have things your way.  Venting this anger by
> >trying to imply that donated money is somehow being mispent is just
> >plain childish.  Grow up.
>
> Sidetracking the issue insults my intellegence. Fuck you.

You do realize that you just proved Behan's point, right?  It was, after
all, you who originally sidetracked the issue.  Let me quote you from above...

> >> And since I am in such a pissed off mood over these version number let's start on these
> >> donations. Where do they go and what are they used for?

Now, let's all play nice and try to keep the "bad language" and name calling
to a minimum.  Disagreement is fine, but losing one's temper accomplishes
nothing but make people fight against you just for the sake of fighting.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )