Re: Qmail user alias

"Bruno O. M. Simoes" <bruno@abril.com.br> writes:

> I'm installing manually qmail. But I did it using Debian and got the same
> problem - the diference is that in Debian you don't need to compile anything.
> I'm reading step-by-step INSTALL and everything was fine. But in the first
> test - to send a mail to a local user (echo to:user |
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject) - I was unhappy. In logfile I read the same
> error message of the second INSTALL test must to show - it's unable to find
> the user.
> But the user is correctly writed in /etc/passwd and has it's own home dir.
> Well, I can say that qmail doesn't accept my users in /etc/passwd, but I
> don't know what is going on.

I've installed qmail manually since 0.91 (I think) without any
(unfixable) problems, under Slackware and Debian.

Can you send the output of qmail-showctl to me or the list?  And the
corresponding lines in /var/log/mail.log?

Check the permissions of the user's home directory.  It should be
something like:

% ls -ld ~
drwxr-xr-x  54 carey    carey        5120 Aug 23 17:02 /home/carey
% ls -ld ~alias
drwxr-xr-x   6 alias    qmail        1024 Aug 14 20:46 /var/qmail/alias

You could also try the qmail mailing list.  They're more likely to
have encountered this before.

--
		Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

   "On the telephone line I am anyone, I am anything I want to be."
                                       - Savage Garden, _Santa Monica_