Re: DUNC

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, PATRICK DAHIROC wrote:

> Hi
>
> I recently asked for help concerning PPP dial up and you suggested that I
> use DUNC for this.  I already have unpacked the source code in my system
> but when I ran "make" the only it did was move the source code to
> /usr/bin; the code itself was not compiled.  Am I forgetting to do
> something to compile the code when I run "make"?
>
> Thanks for the help
> Patrick

I have no idea why you downloaded the source package instead
of the "binary" package, but they both come with
documentation.  Please read it.  It explains everything.

The quick explanation is that dunc 2.2 is a bourne shell
script that uses the dialog package (binary -- not the
source package) do create a simple, menu driven automated
PPP setup easily (in theory).  All debian packages are
available in "binary" form so that you can just install them
using dpkg, or dselect, and not have to ever compile
anything.  That's the whole point of having a package
system.  I don't think Solaris would be doing so well if
everyone needed to compile the darned software they needed
to keep their enterprise going ;)

The dppp script is another bourne shell script in the same
vein that aims to give the user a simple interface to
selecting a connection for dialup (once created using dunc.)

After dunc creates the connection, you need only do
"dppp -s" in the future to connect.

I hope that helps, but you should really read the docs.
Incidentally, I don't think the source package installs
anything in /bin (at least it shouldn't).  Instead, the make
file is targetted at creating the binary .deb file.  If one
has been made, just do "dpkg -i dunc_2.2_i386.deb".

Cheers,

--

"Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living
things, we will not ourselves find peace" -Albert Schweitzer

Richard G. Roberto