Re: simple questions

> I didn't get a satisfactory answer before, so I will try again.

Probably due to the fact that some inconsiderate individuals are
using debian-user as a batteground for a flamewar.  :-(

>I know
> about LILO, it is on my boot diskette. How do I get it into the
> partition so my System Commander can call it?
> My Red Hat installation offers the option of booting from the partition,
> if I wish. How do I get Debian to do that?

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly, you want to set
up lilo on a partition, instead of on the Master Boot Record of a disk.

Just change /etc/lilo.conf to read:

boot=/dev/hda2    # or whichever disk/partition you want it on

Conversely, if you actually did want lilo on your MBR, then you use this:

boot=/dev/hda     # notice that there is no partition number

> Unix, or Linux, is new to me, so I have  learning curve to go through.
> Also0, how do I call Xwindows?

Just use dselect to install the proper packages.  I haven't done it
for a while, but I think you want to pick:

xserver-vga16 (+ it's dependencies) - this package contains the
              XF86Setup program which will guide you through setting
              up your video card
xserver-???   (pick one that matches you card, or if you are in doubt,
               don't pick anything and read the documentation in
               /usr/doc/X11)

You probably also want to pick a window manager like fvwm2, fvwm95 or
afterstep (I use fvwm2).  There are lots of other packages that you
might also want, such as xcontrib.

Cheers,

 - Jim