Re: shielding from liability

At 10:15 AM 8/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>john@win.bright.net wrote:
>>
>> I don't really think there is much risk, though.  Where's the duty?
>>
>> Has there ever actually been a negligence suit over free software?
>>

>This is a good question.  I would imagine the answer is no, but .

I haven't had the time to do the research on software, but there have been
all kinds of lawsuits overthe actions of volunteers in other areas. Some of
these lawsuits have been successful. This is the origin of the Good
Samaritan laws. I defended a lawsuit against one of several volunteer soccer
coaches, when one of the young players was severely injured at a practice.
The case went to the jury on the issue of negligence. We were successful,
but the costs were not insignificant.
Gary