on bo-updates and Debian incorporation whinnies

First, there is an easy way with the current stable version of dselect
to determine what effect the packages in bo-updates will have on the
typical system.  When dselect asks for a local directory of packages,
simply give it the directory where your bo-updates files are.  Then
dselect needs a Packages file which is not there.  Again, the option
is there to type in 'scan' and dselect will create a Packages list for
you.  Then when you select packages, you can see all the new packages
that you may want to update or not.

Second, I am a very satisfied Debian user.  Further, I am very
grateful for all the work that has gone into Debian and have every
confidence that it will continue to get better each day.  In my
opinion, it is the superior system for Linux and we all know how
superior the Linux OS is to the alternatives!

As a user, I have no complaints whatsoever with the non-profit
incorporation.  I have also been affiliated with a non-profit and I
think this fits Debian perfectly.  The move to a tax-deductible
non-profit is also a good move, but will require more effort on the
part of the officers of the corporation (mostly in bookkeeping,
etc.).  Still, it is a great move because it gives a little break for
some folks who deserve it.

On the revision numbers, we've gone through changes bigger than this
in the past.  My recommendation is to ignore the complainers.  I know
it is hard to do so.  It was very hard to resist writing this e-mail.
Unless you've been there, it is hard to understand.  And if people
start using profanity, knock 'em off.

Finally, Debian is a success.  When you are successful, you grow.  Just
look at the number of hits on this list if you don't think so.  And it
will get better and bigger.  If you want to stay small, maybe Debian
is not for you.  Debian is at 1000+ packages now and really becoming a
viable system.  Everything from games like quake to serious stuff like
LAPACK libraries and g77.  I can't wait to see what unfolds in the
future as more people catch on.

- --
| James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.  | Phone:  (423)576-8645  |   | L |
| Oak Ridge National Laboratory   | FAX:    (423)574-9172  | H | I |
| Research Reactors Division      | Internet: fea@ornl.gov | F | N |
| P. O. Box 2008                  | Reactor Technology     | I | U |
| Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392 | world's best neutrons! | R | X |

- --