Re: about bo-updates ...

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Carlo U. Segre wrote:

> I have been following the discussion of the past few days with some
> interest.  One thing that strikes me about the change in the organization
> of the stable tree is that I have seen no simple instructions on how to
> make use of the updates in the bo-updates driectory since they are not
> linked to a version of the stable tree.
>
> There has been some mention of using dpkg-ftp but one still has to tell
> dselect where to find the information about the packages and if they are
> not in the stable tree, they will not be found.  The problem is the same
> if one (as I do, with my own mirror) use the nfs method.
>
> Could someone please explain the new methods?

I think we are in limbo on this issue, meaning that it is not resolved. I
think that the archive maintainer, the distribution manager, and the
testing manager need to decide on a policy and then report it clearly.
In addition, the packages in bo-updates are for use at the user's
discretion--they have not been formally accepted as updates to the stable
distribution AFAIK.

Thanks.  Syrus.