Re: upgrade path

Hi,
>>"Daniel" == Daniel J Mashao <mashaodj@sunserver.engin.brown.edu> writes:

Daniel> On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
>> Bruce Perens wrote:
>>
>> We want it to be easy for people to upgrade. However, it's
>> currently difficult for people who had 1.1 on their systems to
>> upgrade to 1.3, because the best way to do this was to install 1.2
>> and then 1.3 . You can

Daniel> What I mean is that I may want to keep 1.1 forever but if a
Daniel> new, say, Emacs package comes up I may want to upgrade my old
Daniel> emacs package.

	Take the new hamm releases. Any Emacs there would be based on
 libc6 -- so you can't just upgrade Emacs. You have to upgrade libc6
 -- and if it is a producton system, you may well want to upgrade the
 development tools, and away it goes ...

	Major Debian releases happen about 3-4 times a year, at
 worst. There always will be upgrade paths from the most recent
 release.

	If you think that is not enough, do you (and I don't mean to
 single out Daniel, I mean anybody on the list that has expressed
 dismay over our archive policy) want to donate equipment to enable us
 to maintain an Archive server? We'll be happy to keep versions as old
 as you wish, if we get the machine, disk space, and net connections
 to enable us to do so.

	It is very easy to demand service. Anybody out there willing
 to put their money where their mouths are?

	manoj
 getting miffed at people who make money from his work, and then
 complain about it.
--
 "Where humor is concerned there are no standards -- no one can say
 what is good or bad, although you can be sure that everyone