Re: helping a user with aic7xxx ? [Rescue disk recommendation]

Dieter Rohlfing wrote:

> I can't imagine, that none of the debian users has an Adaptec controller
> in his PC. Where is the excellence of the debian distribution, when it's
> unable to install on a conventional hardware, where Caldera, Suse,
> RedHat and Slackware can without any problems.
>
> Don't talk, face the facts! And fact is, that debian can't install on a
> conventional hardware. Has anybody a solution for the problem? Has
> anybody more to offer than talk?

Since I had to make a custom kernel for the Debian 1.3 rescue disk
to install on my Adaptec 2940U-based system,

   ftp://ftp.phys.ocean.dal.ca/users/rhogee/Debian/

perhaps something could be borrowed from Slackware here.

Let the rescue boot disk be as generic as possible (like now), and
include a directory containing specific kernels for specific hardware
(à la Slackware).  Only the `linux' kernel and `sys_map.gz' file
need to be copied on the rescue disk, a fairly trivial operation
if the custom kernel is made available.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada