[problem][tetex][locate]

I installed tetex-{base,bin,extra} today.  Running latex produces:

I can't find the default format file!

having searched for an hour through tetex documentation (and been very
confused by the concept of kpathsea),  I find that this is either
texmf.cnf or latex.fmt (I can't figure out which).  So:

1) locate texmf.cnf shows it in /etc/texmf/,  but there are no files in
this directory according to "ls".

2) latex.fmt is in /usr/lib/texmf/web2c,  but running kpathsea doesn't
find it.  I might not be running it right,  because I'm not really sure
what I'm doing.

Can someone help me get tetex configured?

						Thanks in advance.

							 Will

			         harpo@udel.edu
               		       lowe@cis.udel.edu