Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

> > They could have not followed anything past the guy that caused it.
> > Now they can.

> With all due respect, I think you have it backwards.  Now, the
> corporation protects not just those beyond the guy that caused the
> problem.  It even protects that particular guy.

you are correct.

However, were an individual programmer to incure liability (the only way I can
think of off hand is by deliberately caused harm, such as sneaking in a disk
eraser), the corporation won't protect that individual.  It will, howver,
protect the other developers, who could potentially face liability, or at
least incur staggering defense costs.

Generally, short of intentionally caused harm, I can't think of anything
offhand that would lead to actual liability for unincorporated developers.
However, the legal costs of being right aren't small.  Given the
incorporation, a suit against individual developers would probably be bounced,
with sanctions & fees, quickly.  Without, they might have to defend on the
merits.

rick, esq.