Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:23:27 -0400, mdorman@debian.org wrote:

>On Aug 21, Dave Cinege wrote
>> On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:33:41 -0400 (EDT), Tim Sailer wrote:
>> >One of the reasons is that when people make a donation, it could be
>> >tax deductable. Right now it is not. We have to get 501(c)3 status
>> >with the US IRS first.
>> Why? Of what intestest is that to the people that don't live in the USA.
>> How much in donations are to planning to work towards? Do you think the IRS
will
>> allow companies to write off the ftp bandwidth they donate? Hell no...
>>
>> I don't see the need.
>
>Well, many others did.  And many others agreed with the other changes
>you disagree with.  These decisions have been made.  The time for
>discussion is _over_, unless you've got something more substantial
>than the pot-shots you've been taking so far.

Who? I've been reading this list long before the the notice of incorpoation came
through. I never saw any discussion about it. Excuse me if I missed it, but I never
remember seeing a single post asking if it was OK if a few guys in the group
became 'Debian'

>If you feel these changes make it impossible for you to use Debian,
>we're sorry, but it looks like the time has come for you to move to
>another distribution or start your own or whatever.

I just spoke with someone today about this, and he said it looks like this crap might
just do that.

>If these changes do not make it impossible for you to use Debian, then
>please come up with something substantial enough that it might
>actually make people reconsider (I'll give you a clue, "I don't see
>the need" ain't likely to work---obviously the others did) or *drop
>it*.

I've said it ten times. Politics are starting to come into play over the technical
aspects of the distribution. If it is furthered it will either destroy the project or break
it up.

There was no good reason for a corp to be formed. I kept quite. There was no good
reason to put out an 'Official' cd (which hurt a lot of our CD-R guys), and I kept
quite. Now for the most pethtic reason, the entire version control system (and
quality of product, both perceived and actual) is at stake. Now I'm ventting my shit
with full force. I see where this is leading.