Re: Squid + ipfwadm redirect transparent problems

Jose Maria Omo Millan wrote:
># Redirect to Squid proxy server
>/sbin/ipfwadm -I -a acc -P tcp -D default/0 80 -r 8080
>    ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved
>     While trying to retrieve the URL: /

The http 1.0 protocol does not send requested IP address in the request. If
a client asks for "http://www.playboy.com"; then he opens a TCP connection
to 205.216.146.202:80 and sends the text "GET / HTTP/1.0". Your squid would
need to ask the firewall what destination IP address was in the packet, and
I guess it can't do that.

You can't mix proxies and straight http, they are different protocols.

Mike.