Re: Calamity setting up X! Blank screen!

Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Charles Blair wrote:
>
> >    Then the real disaster!

> > it goes through preliminary messages, types ``starting xdm'' and then
> > I get a blank screen.
> >
> >     I have also tried using the boot floppy I created when I installed
> > the system without X a year ago.  This again leads to a blank screen.
>
> I suggest booting with a rescue floppy, mounting your hard drive, and
> editing /mnt/etc/X11/config.  Replace "start-xdm" with "no-start-xdm", and
> replace "xdm-start-server" with "no-xdm-start-server".  This should
> prevent xdm from starting up.

AFAIK you don't even need to use the rescue floppy in this case, because
your existing system basically works, but it is only xdm messing up your
console.

To stop xdm from starting after boot, type "linux single" at lilo's
"boot:" prompt.
Alternatively (in case I'm wrong about what's run in single user mode)
type "linux emergency" to bypass nearly all the startup scripts in
/etc/init.d/ resp. /etc/rc.*

Then edit /etc/X11/config as prescribed.