Re: Debian Version Numbers Was: Is this the Debian Philosophy? (or.... $#@!@#$ bash 2.0!)

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> > How about a longer explanation on the list? I'm _SURE_ that _MANY_
> > inquiring minds would like to know.
[ long explination snipped ]

Ok, this makes sense.  I will probably never agree with the idea, but I
do agree with the reasoning: make debian more available to the public.

> So, we want to make it clear that our CD, even if it is a revision or two
> behind, is still _current_ product in that you can easily hit our FTP site
> and update it to the latest and greatest. We are separating the release
> number from the revision number to emphasize this fact.

Ok, I don't think I've seen an explination of how all this effects the
ftp site.  Earlier today (maybe on a different list), someone mentioned
moving bo-updates to bo-untested, and releasing stuff in bo-updates as it
is tested.  I wasn't able to understand if the bo directory would change
after it's initial release.  If all of this is still up in the air, just
say so and I'll follow the discussion.

One thing I don't understand, will there be a 2.0.1, or will it just be
2.0 R1?  If there won't be a 2.0.1, then this is just a renaming of our
release, and no real change of how things are done.

Thanks for the explination Bruce,
Brandon