mallinfo redux

For those who care, I thought I'd summarise answers to my mallinfo
question of yesterday, and what I came up with.

Frits Daalmans suggested that I try the dmalloc package from non-free.
However, when I installed it, there does not appear to be a mallinfo()
defined in dmalloc.h.  I suspect dmalloc is a pretty heavy duty
debugging package, probably overkill for what was needed here, anyway.

Robert Stone advised that that the code for mallinfo() was indeed in
libc (as I had guessed from grepping the usr/lib directory ...), and was
at a loss to explain why it wouldn't link in.

After fighting with it this morning, I decided to add "-lc" to my linker
flags.  To my surprise, it worked!  Can someone explain why?  I thought
libc was always linked in ...

Anyway, thanks Frits and Robert.  I appreciate the quick help.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104