Re: disk activities on a notebook..

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, David Puryear wrote:
> On 11-Aug-97 Lukas Eppler wrote:
>  On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Gonzalo A. Diethelm wrote:
>  > On Aug  8, 1997, at 07:05, David Puryear wrote:
>  >  > Does anyone know what is accessing the hard drive every 3 or four
>  >  > seconds?
> I finally got X to not access disk so much, but I don't know if this is right
> thing to do. Anyhow, removing cron and at packages did it for me. Now I am
> happy.<g>

I found out what my problem was here: xntpd, and the
always-said-to-be-sleeping apache :-) these two do do a regular access to
the disk, even if there is no connection and no network ... is this a bug?

The solution leaded into a new problem: I _do_ want to spin down my hd
when not used, but now, my bios sets the laptop to sleep, which makes it
inacessible from outside. Did somebody have the same problem, and solved
it?

> p.s. If there is reason why I shouldn't remove these [cron, at]
> packages then please do
> explain, thanks.

On most machines, cron is needed to rotate the log files in /var/log and
does various tasks for news servers. Look in /var/log: almost every file
has something to do with regular actions. I have cron activated, but it
doesn't access the disk too much. Look in /etc/cron.daily and /etc/crontab
what is done. You may want to comment out a few lines which are not
necessary on your machine.

Thanks,
--
Lukas Eppler (godot)