Re: PPP ?

On 18 Aug 1997 PATRICK DAHIROC <patd@wam.umd.edu> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been trying to figure out how to setup a PPP
> connection to my school (Univ of MD) for almost a month. I
> have read quite a bit of stuff about PPP but I am no where
> closer to connecting, since most of the info deals with
> setting up a server. All I want to do is dial up to the
> school system where my account is located.  Is there a dial
> up program that comes with Debian 1.3.1 CD?  Also I am not
> sure where my modem is, should it be at /dev/tty* or
> /dev/cua* - what's the difference? I have already configured
> the kernel of TCP/IP and PPP - what's the next step?
>
> Thanks
> Patrick

Please download dunc version 2.2 from the debian ftp server
or web site.  It make this simpler than doing it by hand,
and gives some clues for DOS/Win users.  The device it will
use will correspond to COM1, COM2, etc.  You need to know
which COM port your modem is on.  I guess if it really comes
to it, you can just make four different connections, one for
COM1-4 each, and see which one works.  If your dial up
server currently supports Win95/NT dial up clients (which is
likely), dunc will get you up and running in no time
(assuming you find out what COM port your modem is on.)

Good luck.

--

"Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living
things, we will not ourselves find peace" -Albert Schweitzer

Richard G. Roberto