Re: PPP ?

In message <[🔎] Pine.SOL.3.95q.970818014509.26667A-100000@rac9.wam.umd.edu>, writes
:
  >Hi
  >
  >I have been trying to figure out how to setup a PPP connection to my
  >school (Univ of MD) for almost a month.  I have read quite a bit of stuff
  >about PPP but I am no where closer to connecting, since most of the info
  >deals with setting up a server. All I want to do is dial up to the school
  >system where my account is located.  Is there a dial up program that comes
  >with Debian 1.3.1 CD?

Install the diald package.

Diald starts up a SLIP or PPP connection on demand, and drops it again
when there appears to be no more activity.  (Your question assumes that
your school is running a PPP server; if it isn't, nothing will work!)

Look at <http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver/linux.diald.html> for a description
of my (working) set-up.

  >                       Also I am not sure where my modem is, should it be
  >at /dev/tty* or /dev/cua* - what's the difference? I have already
  >configured the kernel of TCP/IP and PPP - what's the next step?

/dev/cua* is obsolete and should not be used.  Use /dev/ttyS*.  (ttyS0 = COM1,
ttyS1 = COM2 and so on.)
Isle of Wight                                  http://lfix.co.uk/oliver

     Make it idiot-proof, and someone will breed a better idiot.