Re: heard all the who-haha?

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Galen Hazelwood wrote:

> Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
>
> > Dear shellutils maintainer,
> >
> > Debian 1.3.1 sports a who which many are saying is "slow" while others
> >
> > are saying the slowness is due to slow named servers. Were there
> > any notable changes leading up the the /usr/bin/who which came with
> > shellutils 1.16-2?
>
> The current version of "who", sh-utils 1.16, attempts to look up the
> names of hosts which users are using to connect from.  So if your named
> is slow, who will be slow as well.

The cause of this one was figured out a while ago and is apparently
already reported as a bug. It is not a slow "named" causing it, but "who"
attempting to look up truncated (corrupted) hostnames, probably from utmp.

> This behavior is really annoying for dial-up users, because if named is
> not available (or can't look up anything), who will take forever to time
> out.
>
> I have just come back from vacation, and will look at adding a
> --no-lookup flag to disable this behavior.

This is probably a good idea regardless, but I still think it is more
important to fix the original problem. Is there any way "who" can get the
full (correct) hostname? Why does it need to do the lookup anyway?

ABO