Re: heard all the who-haha?

couple of fixes.  You probably have your name server set up to use
forwarders out on the net.  If the info is not cached, it will wait for
each forwarder to time out.  That can take a long time.  One easy fix is
to masquerade the local ehternet machines in private network space and put
a nameserver on the masqueraded network that has authoritative info for
all machines on the masqueraded private net.  A lookup should be pretty
fast.  You might also see if your provider will delegate you a small
subdomain ... say a /29 with a netmask of 255.255.255.248 and you run an
authoritative nameserver for your subdomain on a NON-masqueraded net.
Or just add the IP address of your other local machines to /etc/hosts

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Galen Hazelwood wrote:

> Yes, I've noticed this too.  I have two systems connected by cheap
> ethernet cards, and a PPP link out to the big wide world.  If I try to
> telnet from the secondary box to my Linux box and the PPP link isn't up,
> it takes 2 minutes easily for the connection to go through.  If PPP is
> up, it's nice and fast.  This behavior started when I installed bind as
> a caching nameserver, and I suspect it would ceace if I removed it.
>
> --Galen
>

> --

George Bonser

Tommy Lasorda for baseball commissioner!