Re: Qmail ./qmail-config does not work! hard error???

From: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
> BTW, anyone know when qmail will become part of the dist? I notice on
> qmail.org that it is now free..

No modifications allowed, and both permission and review is required to
distribute binary versions. That's far from free by Debian's definition.
Don't bother corresponding with Daniel about this, he wants to do things
his way and he doesn't care what we think.

I hear Witesse (author of tcpd) is writing an MTA. There's also EXIM,
which is not as clean as qmail but apparently is just as fast or faster.
When I get a chance, I'll try Exim on one of the list servers.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
	Debian Project Leader

                                D. J. Bernstein

                              Available software

                                     qmail

                         Information for distributors

   You may distribute copies of qmail-1.00.tar.gz, with MD5 checksum
   d3033be700fd6f59ac0548c832652dd3.

   You may distribute copies of qmail-1.01.tar.gz, with MD5 checksum
   1f606d6a5d1caaca6da6b6fa5db500bf.

   Vendors: I'd be interested in hearing about any CDs that include the
   package, but you don't have to check with me if you don't want to.

   If you want to distribute modified versions of qmail (e.g., different
   packaging formats, porting changes, precompiled binaries) you'll have
   to get my approval. This does not mean approval of your distribution
   method, your intentions, your e-mail address, your haircut, or any
   other irrelevant information. It means a detailed review of the exact
   package that you want to distribute.

Binary distributions

   It is not difficult to create a binary qmail distribution that
   installs itself in a few seconds. But convenience must be backed up by
   rock-solid reliability. Here are some concerns raised by
   self-installing distributions.

   How are the users and groups assigned? Are /etc/passwd and /etc/group
   edited safely? What happens if there are already users and groups
   under different numbers?

   How are the boot scripts edited? Is the sendmail invocation safely
   replaced with the qmail invocation? What if there is no sendmail
   invocation?

   How is the currently running sendmail daemon killed? Is there any risk
   to user processes? How is the sendmail queue flushed? How is the
   sendmail binary disabled?

   How is /etc/inetd.conf edited? What if there is already an smtp line?

   How were the binaries compiled? Are they portable? All the .h files
   listed in SYSDEPS are OS-specific; have they changed between different
   versions of the target OS?
--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html