Re: disk activities on a notebook..

On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Gonzalo A. Diethelm wrote:

> On Aug  8, 1997, at 07:05, David Puryear wrote:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > Does anyone know what is accessing the hard drive every 3 or four
>  > seconds?
>
> Let's see, how much physical memory do you have? If it is less than
> 16 MB, then X is going to swap a lot. That could explain it.

I have 24 Megs and almost the same situation. Even shutting down X and
killing cron doesn't help... Is there a good way to find out what is
accessing the disk? lsof is too much and doesn't say when files are
accessed, only which files... There are situations, where my hd spins
down, but it managed only to stay calm for at maximum 2 seconds.  ??

Thanks,

--
Lukas Eppler (godot)
                                                  http://www.fear.ch