Re: Is this the Debian Philosophy? (or.... $#@!@#$ bash 2.0!)

"Jens B. Jorgensen" wrote:

>                                                   Who decides when a
> bug is important enough to be rolled back into an old distribution[?]

After a few months of using Debian, I don't know the answer to that.
I don't even know *if* distributions are updated after release.

Is 1.3.1 supposed to be a stable upgrade to 1.3 in the same way that
the Linux kernel 2.0.30 is a stable upgrade to 2.0.29?
If so, will 1.3.2 be released to fix bugs in 1.3.1 while developpers are
working on Debian 2.0?

The FAQ (9.2 How can I keep my Debian system current?) talks about tracking
the Debian archive, so I assume that having Debian 1.3 doesn't really mean
anything unless I also say it's 1.3 dated from <insert-time-stamp-here>.

Perhaps the upgrade scheme and version number scheme should be explained
in www.debian.org somewhere, or perhaps I have missed something critical
about Debian that I should know but don't.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada