Installing qmail.deb (was Re: Laptop for Linux Debian)

Dear friends,

before anything else, let me thank you all for your support!

I think Laptop vendors should start looking at supportintg Linux as you
can see people wanting to purchase a laptop (such as myself) will prefer a
brand (or generic) laptop that does support Linux!!! :)

Now regardng qmail I have downloaded qmail-1.01.deb (Intel) and I would
like to know what is the right way to install it.  I am using the default
smail as the mail-transport-agent.

Do I need to remove smail first and then dpkg -i qmail*.deb?  Is there
any replacement argument for dpkg that will do it all (e.g. --replace)

Maybe I should go read about dpkg before I ask all this question huh? ;)

Thank you.

Dave