Re: /etc/init.d structure [long rant]

[...]
Manoj Srivastava  wrote:

> 	You are hereby excused. *Nothing* has an S* in more than one
>  level. A package is meant to be at a certain run level and higher. A
>  level 3 package is started at run level 3, killed in run level 2, and
>  at *no* other level. See how this works?

There is one thing that I dont see yet.  There might be a necessity to
introduce parallel routes, e.g. you would want to have a runlevel that
starts xdm, and one that starts networking deamons for machines that
actually are on a network.  But there is no intrinsic order between
these things.  My machine at home is not connected to any network, which
means that certain daemons are not necessary, even if I do want to run
X.  Other people may want to connect to the network without having to
go through a runlevel that starts xdm.  Now how is this tackled?

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032