Re: /etc/init.d structure [long rant]

>>"Donovan" == Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au> writes:

Donovan> So excuse me if I have got this wrong, but does that mean
Donovan> going from run level 2 to run level 7 requires running all K*
Donovan> then S* in run level 3, then all K* then S* in run level 4,
Donovan> then all K* then S* in run level 5, ... all the way up to run
Donovan> level 7? And going from run level 4 down to 2 does the same
Donovan> in reverse?

Donovan> Doesn't this mean that with something that has an S* in
Donovan> runlevel 3,5,7 and a K* in 2,4,6, that it will be started,
Donovan> stopped, started, stopped... all the way through? What about
Donovan> going through a runlevel 5 which is for "power down"?
	You are hereby excused. *Nothing* has an S* in more than one
 level. A package is meant to be at a certain run level and higher. A
 level 3 package is started at run level 3, killed in run level 2, and
 at *no* other level. See how this works?

Donovan> why not just have the postinst script ask the user "what
Donovan> runlevels do you want this package to run at?" and provide
Donovan> sensible defaults. That frees the package maintainer from
Donovan> deciding what to clasify the package as, and allows the user
Donovan> to have his own customized runlevels.

	I think that punting this decision on to the user is bad
 design. Firstly, installing a large number of packages may well
 overwhelm a novice, secondly, there are ordering requirements between
 packages (potentialy) that the user may not be aware of, and thirdly,
 debugging and customer support are going to be a nightmare, with
 every system different from every other system.

	There _is_ a way of doing this style of rc right (though it
 would generate *lots* of debate on debian-devel [yummy]), and I think
 the devopers *can* get to a consensus on what belongs at each run
 level -- (we did get to agree on the required, important, optional
 and extra categories, didn't we?)

 who would be interested in hearing more about how other unices got
 rc.? right.
 "In Western terms, love is like an extended software Q.A. suite.
 True love is like a final acceptance test.  But one has to be willing
 to take bug fixes and work-arounds; otherwise, the software is never
 done." The Usenet Oracle

debian-user-request@lists.debian.org .