Rebuilding the Status file

Hi,

while running X and Netscape my computer decide of its own acord to
suddenly reboot.

this caused me to get errors on reboot abought problems in the  /etc/rc*
directorys as well as a bad bash binary the core dumped (or something)
when it was called on startup. so I opted to reinstall the base system
off my disks....

well that overwrote my /var/lib/dpkg/status file ... and I can't
uninstall any of my old packages now ...

my question is this is there a way to tell dpkg to look though the HD and
find all the packages and then update the status file?

TIA

-Kevin,