Exim-error: What does this mean?

Can somebody help me to configure my exim please.  There was no

I have a dialup ppp-connection to an ISP.  Incoming mail works without
problem.  Some outgoing messages also.  However, there is one address
(and it is one I have used several times a week with smail) which
gives the following error message in the /var/log/exim/mainlog:
---------------------
1997-08-11 12:23:01 0wxrcr-00002u-00 system_aliases director:
/etc/aliases (linear search): wrong mode

1997-08-11 12:23:01 0wxrcr-00002u-00 == root@localhost
D=system_aliases defer (-17): /etc/aliases (linear search): wrong mode
I do not understand what is wrong.

Johann Spies
jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za

Windsorlaan 19