where to set default ulimit values

Hi,

I am trying to enlarge the default ulimit -s (stack size) value on a
debian 1.3.1 system. Obviously login isn't linked with libpam, so
/etc/security/limits.conf isn't read. There is an ULIMIT entry in
/etc/login.defs, but that seems to be ignored also. I can lower
the ulimit -s limit in /etc/profile, but I cannot enlarge it because
/etc/profile runs with user privileges. So, where can I enlarge
the maximum stack size value, which somehow defaults to 8 MB?

Thanks, Thomas