Re: Problem with exim and fetchmail.

Mail of Rob Browning:
> Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:
>
>> Put the following into /etc/exim.conf
>> (customize for your setup! by default exim does not accept unqualified
>> e-mail!)
>>
>> qualify_domain = waterf.org
>> receiver_unqualified_nets =
> 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0:206.1.27.36/255.255.255.255
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't do it.  It's not
> complaining about the source, but rather the destination when
> fetchmail contacts exim for the SMTP transfer.  I even tried
> receiver_verify=false and qualify_recipient=localhost with no luck.
>
> Here's some relevant bits from my /etc/exim.conf:
>
> qualify_domain = raven.localhost
> local_domains = raven.localhost
> receiver_unqualified_nets = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
>
> If it matters (and it might), this machine normally has a dynamic
> connection to the internet (and a Dynamic IP), so I have bind/resolv
> set up to think this machine is under the (bogus) "localhost" domain.
> That seems to satisfy all the apps (lprng, sendmail originally, etc.)
> that were having trouble before, but I suppose this "hack" could be
> causing exim trouble.
>
> I've read the mini/Dynamic-IP-Hacks HOWTO, and their suggestions
> caused the same exim SMTP failures.  I've also tried "localhost" and
> "localhost:raven.localhost" for each of the above variables without
> success.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Rob

---End quote

Hi Rob,

I'm using the following debian packages out of /debian/hamm/hamm:

exmh, exim, fetchmail, mh, metamail and mime-support.

The following is what I did for a ppp connection to an ISP using dynamic
addressing and pop3.  I also used hack 5? of the mini/Dynamic-IP-Hacks HOWTO
(the one where you make new hosts-up and hosts-down files).  This Dynamic-IP-Hackshack
worked perfectly for me.

Anyhow my ~/.fetchmailrc is:
poll milo.cfw.com       <--- Your ISP Mail server goes here
protocol pop3
uidl
username vtorrico is vtorrico@localhost here
password xxxxxxxxxxx
smtphost milo.cfw.com   <--- Your ISP Mail server goes here
# keep
fetchall
mda "exim -bm %s"

My pertinent part of /etc/exim.conf is:
# This is the main exim configuration file.
# It was originally generated by `eximconfig', part of the exim package
# distributed with Debian, but it may edited by the mail system
administrator.
# This file originally generated by eximconfig at Fri Aug  8 20:09:27 EDT
1997
# See exim info section for details of the things that can be configured
here.
# General configuration here, such as local domains

qualify_domain = cfw.com     <---- Your ISP domain name
local_domains = localhost

local_domains_include_host = true
local_domains_include_host_literals = true
never_users = root
trusted_users = mail
smtp_verify = true
gecos_pattern = ^([^,:]*)
gecos_name = $1

received_header_text = "Received: \
          ${if def:sender_fullhost {from ${sender_fullhost} \
          ${if def:sender_ident {(${sender_ident})}}\n\t}\
          {${if def:sender_ident {from ${sender_ident} }}}}\
          by ${primary_hostname} \
          ${if def:received_protocol {with ${received_protocol}}} \
          (Exim ${version_number} #${compile_number})\n\t\
          id ${message_id} (Debian)"
end

Make sure the following line is in /etc/inetd.conf:
smtp    stream  tcp    nowait  mail    /r/sbin/exim exim -bs

To make From: part of messages read correctly change or add the localname
statement to /etc/mh/mtstailor.  The localname should be the domain name of
your ISP.  Mine is cfw.com.

This is my /etc/mh/mtstailor:
mmdfldir:   /var/spool/mail
mmdflfil: