RE: RFC: Debian Newsletter

On 10-Aug-97 Brandon Mitchell wrote:

     +-------
     | Upgrade Notices: How to Safely Go to libc6.

        Some people have reported unusuable systems after trying to upgrade to
     libc6.  In order to safely upgrade, the following was suggested by:
     > From: "Scott K. Ellis" <storm@gate.net>
     >
     > 1) Use dselect to purge all of the -dev packages on your system, they
     >    will all need to be replaced with libc6 based packages, most likely
     >    included in hamm.  Getting rid of the bo -dev packages will solve a
     >    majority of your dependancy problems.
     > 2) Manually retrieve and install the latest libc6 package.  This will
     >    save a lot of headaches in trying to install all the new libc6 based
     >    stuff.
     > 3) Manually retrive the latest bash, libreadline2, and libreadlineg2
     >    packages.  Install all of them on one dpkg command line.

This list of packages is incomplete when upgrading from 1.3.1. You also need
ncurses3.4_1.9.9g-3.deb and ldso_1.9.5-1.deb

And the order of install that worked for me is:

libc6_2.0.4-1.deb
ldso_1.9.5-1.deb
libreadline2_2.1-2.1.deb
ncurses3.4_1.9.9g-3.deb
libreadlineg2_2.1-2.1-2.deb
bash_2.01-0.1.deb

        cheers,
        David
p.s. The Debian Newsletter is great idea!

     +-------
     | Upgrade Notices: Netscape 4.02b7 Problems

     The latest sources for communicator may be hard to find on netscapes ftp
     sites: (this author had luck with ftp6, but it may change)
       ftp://ftp?.netscape.com/pub/communicator/4.02/4.02b7/english/unix/
     To install, extract the tar-gzip file, read the readme, and run the
     ns-install script (you will be prompted for the target directory).  Users
     will have to set the variable MOZILLA_HOME to the target directory.  The
     only problem so far is that helper apps (like realaudio) will fail because
     of a bug in bash.  The solution is to upgrade to bash 2.01 from unstable.