xemacs and mailcrypt?

I use gnus in xemacs for my mail, so I have tried to run mailcrypt for
pgp encoding messages.  Every time I try it I get the message "Found
no signed message in this buffer", but I clearly see there is a signed
message with the pgp headers:

If I save the message, then pgp can verify the signature, so pgp is
not the problem.  I have reduced my .xemacs-options, .emacs, and .gnus
to about the minimum usable, but I do have the hooks set up as the
gnus documentation specifies.  Mailcrypt will allow me to sign my own
messages, but then can't verify the signature because of the above
problem.

Is this an xemacs package problem, or have I missed something in
configuring my system?  Is anybody else using xemacs with gnus and
mailcrypt?  I looked through the bug tracking system, but I didn't see
any related reports under either xemacs or mailcrypt.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org