A installation report...

hello debian users

    I just send a bug reported on these experiences, but would like to get
    some comments on this list:

    I'm a very convinced Debian user and will never switch to another
    distribution so I suggested a friend of mine to take a look on Debian,
    which he tried to install. He is not a linux newbie, though Debian newbie
    and tried to install Debian 1.3.1 from CD. Yesterday when I met him the
    system was totally corrupted with round about 100 packages that weren't
    in a clean state and it took several hours to fix this with dselect and
    dpkg by hand.

    One of the basic problems was that dselect can't say how many space is
    free on the harddisk and if a selected package fits on the disk or
    not. It installs all packages that are selected without any checking on
    the disk and doesn't report anything to the user (only dpkg gets an disk
    write error that is handled like any other). This resulted in "no
    space left on device" errors and dselect wasn't even able to write its
    status file. That's really ugly and one of the basic things a package
    management system should be able of.

    Then we deselected things for removing and many of the postrm-scripts
    returned errors cause other packages that they needed were allready
    removed. For example the linux gazette files from the doc directory
    weren't able to be removed cause the journal package was allready wiped
    from the disk. We managed this by installing the journal package one more
    time and than removing the gazette files.

    Another thing was that the netscape wrapper package from the contrib
    implies to the user a full netscape package. We had no netscape binary
    around and so the installation returned an error and netscape was half
    installed. Then dselect reports conflicts on packages like fvwm95 or
    others which have a "suggest netscsape" entry.

    Well even if dselect provides facilities ro prevent users from running in
    such problems, they are obviously hard to find. Btw: I'm not a very
    experienced dselect user, cause I used dselect only once for my
    installation and since then I'm doing the rest with dpkg on the command
    line.

    So I won't suggest a newbie to switch to the Debian distribution in the
    next time.  Well, on the other side I'm a glad Debian user and will never
    take another distribution, cause I like the way the packages are set up
    and how Debian organizes the disk.

              Peter
Peter Weiss, Sonnenstraße 17, D-26123 Oldenburg, Tel:  0441/ 81058
http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de:/~weissp