disk activities on a notebook..

Hi all,

Does anyone know what is accessing the hard drive every 3 or four seconds?
I'm using debian 1.3.1 with 2.0.29 on a laptop, so I trying to make the battery
last as long as possible. But with constant accessing of the disk when I'm
just typing is draining the battery way too fast.:( Hope someone has idea as to
how to change this behavior.

Any hint as to how to find out would be appreciated, thanks,

        David