Re: bind

Francois Gouget <fgouget@club-internet.fr> writes:

>  - Change the named.boot file depending on whether you are connected
> or not. When not connected don't use forwarders.

The solution I came up with was to have my /etc/ppp/ip-up and
/etc/ppp/ip-down scripts switch between two /etc/host.conf files (I
stripped all the comments and other fluff, and indented them for
readability).  This approach relies on /var/run being cleaned on
reboot to make sure that the machine doesn't hang for a while when it
restarts because bind's trying to figure out what's wrong:

/etc/ppp/ip-up

  /usr/local/sbin/dns-adjust connecting ppp

/etc/ppp/ip-down

  /usr/local/sbin/dns-adjust disconnecting ppp

/usr/local/sbin/dns-adjust

  if [ "$1" = connecting ]
  then
    (cd /etc && ln -sf host.conf.connected host.conf)
    (cd /etc && ln -sf resolv.conf.connected resolv.conf)
    (umask 022 && touch /var/run/bind.ok)
    /etc/init.d/bind reload   # in case it's already running
    /etc/init.d/bind start
  else
    (cd /etc && ln -sf host.conf.disconnected host.conf)
    (cd /etc && ln -sf resolv.conf.disconnected resolv.conf)
    rm -f /var/run/bind.ok
    /etc/init.d/bind stop
  fi

/etc/host.conf.connected