Re: [DPKG] how to change a package which is depended upon?

"Magossa'nyi A'rpa'd" <mag@bunuel.tii.matav.hu> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I want to change my MTA from sendmail to qmail. How to do that?
>
> When I want to install qmail, dpkg says that I can't do that because
> sendmail is already installed as a MTA. If I want to uninstall
> sendmail, then it refuses because a lot of package depends on
> MTA. I've tried --auto-deconfigure, but seems not to have any
> effect.

Use dpkg directly and run it with:

        dpkg -r --force-depends ...

This will ignore the dependencies for this particular removal.  But be
warned, you should install the new MTA as soon as possible to keep you
system consistent.

        Torsten

--
"What a depressingly stupid machine"
                              The Restaurant at the End of the Universe