Does Linux use BIOS parameters for disk?

     I have several old 386 machines around that would be nice for
different tasks.  These machines have older BIOSs in them that
can't deal with larger IDE drives.  My experience with DOS is that
you need to fdisk and format the drive on a machine that properly
supports the particular disk but once that is done DOS is happy to
ignore the BIOS.  Is this the case with Linux?  Is it necessary to
pass the disk parameters to the kernel at boot time?

 Chris Brown       cbrown@seitz.com         !!! HELP FIGHT SPAM !!!

 Join; www.cauce.org  See; spam.abuse.net, spamsucks.com, www.cm.org