Re: Need help diagnosing (*stopping*) a spam problem.

jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl writes:

[snip]

> Once you've done that, you can work on the real solution: disabling the use
> of your system as a mail relay. See
> http://spam.abuse.net/spam/tools/mailblock.html#relay for that.

And the qmail FAQ, especially question 5.4.  Also see qmail-control(5)
and qmail-smtpd(8) for the appropriate files to edit.  In particular,
rcpthosts should exist, and contain only the ISP's domains which
receive email, probably the union of locals and virtualdomains.  This
means that no-one can send mail to "<4f0lk6t9@INETWORLD.NET>" via your
machine, unless `inetworld.net' is in rcpthosts.

Because this includes your users not being able to relay mail out,
you'll also need to use FAQ 5.4.

[snip]

> - Disable the "EXPN" and "VRFY" commands of SMTP; I don't know how to do
>   that.

qmail doesn't support these at all:

% socket -c localhost smtp
220 psyche.evansnet ESMTP
VRFY <carey>
252 send some mail, i'll try my best
EXPN <carey>
502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)
QUIT
221 psyche.evansnet

--
		Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

"[UNIX] appears to have the inside track on being the replacement for
  CP/M on the largest microcomputers (e.g. those based on 68000...)"