Sound card & PPP configuration

Hi

I'm trying to cojfigure my computer's sound card and internet connection
via PPP.  As far as I can figure I have to recompile the whole kernel to
get the proper devices working.  Currently the kernel I'm using is 2.29 is
worth it to upgrade to 2.30 (is there any big difference in stability and
performance)if so do i just run 'make xconfig'.  If not how do I
recompile the kernel so that only the internet and sound card
configuration are affected.  I have read the Sound HOWTO, PPP HOWTO and
Kernel HOWTO but I am still a little bit confused about the whole process
since the Sound and PPP HOWTOs assumes that things are already compiled.

Thanks
Patrick