Re: HELP! start-stop-daemon: no such file

On Aug 6, Frank Barknecht wrote
> Yes, that's it. I linked perl500... with /usr/bin/perl right now and I am
> about to reboot to see if it works.
>
> Thank you all very much for the quick help. That's really great about
> Debian, wow.
>
> P.S.: Is this all worth a bug report or is this problem obsolete anyway
> with the new start-stop-daemon in C?

Well, it's a problem other people might encounter when upgrading. I'm not
sure if we have a document on upgrading from previous releases; if we do,
this should go in there.

On Aug 6, Frank Barknecht wrote
> Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:
> (barknech@jupiter.ph-cip.Uni-Koeln.DE):
>
> Now I have found another strange thing: I don't have an executable named
> perl on my system anymore. Although there is a perl5.00307 under
> /usr/bin/perl5.00307. I recall removing the "Obsolete" - as dselect called
> it - package perlbase in my last dselect-session before all those errors
> occured.  Maybe I shouldn't have done this.

This is probably the cause. I looked into perl_5.003.07-10 (in stable), and
it does not contain usr/bin/perl directly, but rather usr/bin/perl.dist (a
link to usr/bin/perl5.00307), which is "mv"ed to usr/bin/perl when
configuring.

So it looks like something went wrong with the configure step.
"/var/lib/dpkg/info/perl.postinst configure" would probably have fixed it.

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks