Re: speed of X

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Paul Wade wrote:

> Linux will use a swap partition of up to 128 meg. You can add swap files
> if you need more. I haven't heard anything about slowdowns. Maybe you're
> thinking about windows swap usage and performance? Somebody correct me if
> I'm wrong.

I know that Linux (or at least Debian, but this sure seems like a Linux
issue) can use multiple swap partitions (I think up to 8, perhaps even 16,
being up to almost 128MB each).  I had two 120M swap partitions at one
time, but removed the second due to IDE performance problems (I had a
cron-scheduled process that would heavily access the slave drive while
swapping to the master drive, and due to my configuration, this was
happening on BOTH IDE controllers at the same time.  Yuk!!!).

I think you can have up to 16 swap files, and I think swap files can be up
to 16MB each, but I'm not sure.  I was unable to create a swap file in a
IDE-based Multiple Drives (md) RAID-0 array, but YMMV.

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590