Re: Where is libX11

On Aug 02, Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Luka Pravica wrote:
>
> > I tried to compile some programs for X11 with:
> >
> > gcc prog1.c -lX11
> >
> > The compilation went O.K., then the linker complained that it couldn't find
> > X11 library.
> > I have installed almost every -dev package but I still think that the right
> > one is missing.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what should I install in order to compile X-programs.
>
> I believe that you also need to add -L/usr/X11R6/lib to your
> compiler/linker options.  More experienced developers can explain to you
> why this is necessary under the default Debian configuration.  I'm
> assuming that you already have the X-related developer's libs installed.
>
> Syrus.

I have seen programs, that have /usr/X11/lib as standard X11 library
directory. I think on most systems with X11R6, /usr/X11 is a symlink to
/usr/X11R6. However, on my Debian system (unstable), there is no such
symlink.

Is there a reason for this?

Does it harm when I do 'ls -s /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11`?

Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."
Marcus Brinkmann