Re: bug or feature?

Hi,
>>"Shaya" == Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

Shaya> Just to get in a point about pam, I've been talking to a person
Shaya> here at NRL who is involved with linux, and networking security
Shaya> in general, and he feels PAM is flawed in some serious ways.
Shaya> He feels that a PAM based system can open your system to many
Shaya> different types of attacks which aren't "normal" now.  That's
Shaya> not to say he doesn't like the "idea" of PAM. He thinks the
Shaya> idea is good, except that PAM's implementation is bad.

	Could we have some details, please? I dislike FUD being spread
 with no hard references to follow. (Names, white papers, techniques,
 shortcomings).

 Look at: http://www.opengroup.org/tech/rfc/rfc86.0.html. That is a
 proposal and a framefork for incorporating PAM into DCE security. DCE
 is (IMHO) a great product, but it missed it's window of opportunity,
 and probably DCE security is what keeps breath in the product. I
 think that obvious security flaws would have been addressed.

Shaya> Now, I don't know much about it, but I have a lot of respect
Shaya> for the persons opinion.

	From a security perspective, I'd be crazy to put any
 confidence in a defect report with this kind of a reference.

	manoj
ps. Also, there is http://www.opengroup.org/tech/rfc/rfc5.2.html,
 the Generic Security Service Application Program Interface (GSS-API),
 which is kinda nice.

--
 "I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should
 they be considered patriots.  This is one nation under God." George