Re: Debian-Lite : The Project

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, John F wrote:

> Couldn't dpkg generate a list of existing installed packages? Then a
> simple script could take that list and run dpkg -i on them.

dpkg --help:
  dpkg --get-selections [<pattern> ...]   get list of selections to stdout
  dpkg --set-selections                   set package selections from stdin

This does exactly what you are looking for.  However, I'm not sure if
dselect will remove packages if they aren't on the list when
set-selections is run.  Anyone care to enlighten me?

It seems like debian-lite (or whatever) could create a long list based on
a few questions, and install from a complete debian cd.  The only thing
you have to change is the root .bash_profile after a base disk
installation (this means a one file change from the regular distribution,
sounds like the easiest approach to me, and easy for upkeep).

Diety also seems like an easy solution to this:
   http://www.verisim.com/~behanw/deity/deity-ui_0.10.html
See section 6.  It describes profiles indetifying what type of machine you
are running so you are only presented with a partial list of packages.

I don't want to start a thread on diety, they already have their own
mailing list.  The url is only a proposal, nothing has actually been
released to the public (I don't think anything has even been made).

Comments?
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html

"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds