Re: Debian-lite

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Jason Ish wrote:

> As an alternative to doing all this work to create a Debian-Lite/personal
> edition would be to have the guys working on the new dselect (sorry, I can't
> remember the name) to have setup scenarios.
>
> I don't see why any of this customized setup can't be done from dselect.  Just
> tell dselect you want a personal system with X and it will make most of the
> major decisions for you.
>
> Jason
> jbi130@cs.usask.ca

The problem with this is that I will have custom packages.  My smail will
be different than Debian's default smail, my fvwm would be different, etc.
What I would probably have is something along the lines of an expanded
base installation without ever using dselect at all.  All you would have
to answer are a few questions (Do you want a news server (Y/n) ... are you
connected to the internet (Y/n) ... Do you want X windows ... etc) and the
system would install depending on the answers.  At the end of the
installation, the user would be told about the additional software
available from Debian, about dselect, and about certain packages being
customized and might be different than Debian's versions.

George Bonser
Why is it that the same people that tell us that manned space flight
is a waste of money also tell us that we have been visited by aliens?